Friday, January 9, 2009

Things We Didn't Lose In The Fire

Hey guys. Whatsup? Oh, n/m here, just RECOVERING FROM THE MASSIVE FIRE THAT SWEPT THROUGH MY APARTMENT BUILDING THIS MORNING.

I woke up still drunk at 9:30am to banging on my door and my roommate screaming "Jess! There's a fire!" When I came out in my slip (a.k.a. basically naked) there were firemen in my apartment curving a hose on the floor to get it up the stairs to the 3rd floor where the fire was. They made us evacuate and when we got outside there were huge ladders going up to the 3rd floor and they were breaking the windows and smoke was pouring out. They started throwing charred bedding and all this shit out the window. I took some pictures:

Thankfully no one was in the apartment at the time, so no one was hurt. One of the guys that lived there came to check and see if we were okay and I wanted to hug him so badly. He said that cliched thing all people say when things like this happen: "You just never think it will happen to you." =/

I guess it started because something got caught in the radiator, which is terrifying stuff because it could happen to anybody. As for our apartment, our one bathroom is completely flooded and there's water damage in the ceiling and some drippage in the bedrooms, oh and also it smells awfully of smoke, but we're all okay, our things aren't damaged badly, so really all I'm concerned about is the guys whose apartment it was. Really scary. Luckily our Super, this amazing Eastern European guy named "Meadow," has been taking good care of everyone in the building. The Red Cross Disaster Relief team came (???) and the locksmiths fixed the doors the firemen had to break down already.

And now I have... an interview. In midtown. Cool.

-Jess

2 comments:

Tyler said...

Holy Crap that is scary! At least you are all right though! I dont know what i would have done!

The College Blog Network said...

Holy fuck glad you two are ok!!