Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Adios

One of my closest friends from home, Alyssa, is leaving for Buenos Aires tomorrow. Alyssa is one of the most fascinating people I know. When I had the ridiculously spontaneous and insane idea of planning a cross-country road trip in less than a week (a trip that was to take two weeks in itself, and was to end just a few days before I moved to Paris for four months), she was right there with me. And we drove and drove, and smoked cigarettes in midwestern Sonic parking lots, and burned mixes with everything from Aly and AJ to Iron and Wine to Destroyer on them and then okay I crashed the car but the moments leading up to that were some of the most fantastic I had ever experienced, this vast expanse of nothingness, but of everything at the same time, and this was truly living, this was being free...!

Alyssa is moving to Buenos Aires with barely any money, only a vague idea of where she's going to live and how she's going to apply for school (at Buenos Aires University, which is free of charge as long as you register in person). She speaks very elementary Spanish and doesn't know a single soul in all of Argentina.


Alyssa is my hero. She is the only person I know who could pull this off without a sweat. She took a year off from Hampshire College after freshman year because she was smart enough to know not all four years of schooling could be about face painting and tripping in the forest. She stayed home, toiled away at a horrendous job at a children's toy store, then saved up the money and flew to Thailand for a few months to teach English to children. And now it's off to Buenos Aires.


If you know anyone in the B.A. area, feel free to comment. Alyssa is absurdly independent but having a network of people down there is never a bad thing. My friend David will be studying abroad there come February, but the more the merrier!


GOOD LUCK ALYSSA.


-Jess

3 comments:

shift + a said...

Tell her that no matter what else she does, she MUST stay in the Palermo district. Whether it is Palermo SoHo or Palermo Hollywood doesn't matter so much, but stay there. This will make her life in BA a dream and she'll miss New York less. Also, take the bus, not the subway. Cabs are also so cheap and it really is a safe walking city. The people are the nicest in the world; she'll love it there.

Jess and Josh said...

will do! thanks for the tips :)

My Infinite Numbered Days said...

She's also my hero. When I saw her over winter break, I was SO IMPRESSED by how calm she was.