Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Writing Papers

blows.

I have an 8 pager and a 15 pager due in the next two weeks and all I want to do is be drunk 24/7.

I realized that I tend to use the same phrases and words in all of my papers. Do you guys do that? I bet if you compared my papers from different classes they would all read the same except on different topics. Phrases I overuse include:


1. This functions twofold as...
2. Serves as a vehicle for...
3. Manifests itself as...
4. Furthermore/Therefore
5. Becomes evident
6. This distinct brand of...
7. Serves as a catalyst for...

What phrases do you overuse and can I co-opt them and incorporate them into my work? Thx.

-Jess

2 comments:

David said...

"Resonates with...". Everything "resonates with [something]" in every single paragraph.

Mazi said...

Institutions of all sorts pop up in my writing because, if you try hard enough, anything can become an institution