Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Sorry Other Gays, But I Will Still Be a Part of This Day

I'm not participating in Day Without a Gay. Here's why:

1) I want to save my not-coming-in-to-work days for Hanukkah. And, like, the rest of winter up until New Year's; Jess and Ashley will be back, while other friends of mine will live their last days in the city for a semester, and I want to spend time with them.

2) I need money. (Not like my paycheck isn't almost two fucking weeks late, but yeah.)

3) I'm not going to participate in one part of this protest while ignoring the others, which call for volunteer work (don't have time, but it's not like I spend every Christmas at a soup kitchen anyway, because I'm lazy and selfish) and the withdrawal of $80 from our bank accounts to show our "spending power," which, ha ha, I don't have.

4) I live in New York City, and really, I don't see what this whole thing is going to accomplish, because I bet most of the people who "call in gay" are still going to spend money somewhere, and that kind of defeats the purpose of us proving our worth to the rest of society, doesn't it?

So, if you call in tomorrow and do some other good for the community and don't spend your money (but also, um, take out eighty dollars for no reason), then bully for you! If you live in California, double bully! Too bad you still can't get married. =/

-Josh

No comments: