Monday, December 8, 2008

Czecking In

Prague was wonderful. Not only did I get to see two of my best friends, I also got to smoke weed in bars like it was Amsterdam. A friend of mine who is completely uninformed about the subject made an observation that I, who am also completely uninformed about the subject, found quite apt: the police are extremely laissez-faire about things because they don't want to seem... COMMUNIST. Afterall, it's only been about 20 years since they were. So the police basically let you do whatever the fuck you want; except when I put my cigarette out on the ground on my way to the airport and a policeman stopped me and started lecturing me in Czech about how it would be a 1,000 Koruna ($50) fine. Luckily I pulled the "I'm an American I'm sorry I don't understand what you're saying" and he let me go.

It was strange because I had never been in a country with such a different currency (20 Czech Korunas = $1!), or to a place where the language was just so damn indiscernible for me. At least in Romance language countries I can get the basic gist of what is going on, but not a single Czech word resonated with me. I was so incredibly buried in my unbearable Americanness: I couldn't even properly pronounce the Czech word for "thank you."

But the beer was good, and so was the fried cheese after you have had many of the beers, and it was beautiful and old and decorated for Christmas. I also met someone (an NYU student, not a random Czech person) who reads our blog and knew me from it! Weird. Here are some pics for those (3) of you who are interested:




-Jess

1 comment:

Who We Are: said...

Oh my god, I'm FAMOUS!!!

xoxo