Thursday, November 13, 2008

Kevin Barnes Channels David Bowie, Continues to Make Me Swoon

If you're like me, you weren't impressed by Of Montreal's latest full-length offering, Skeletal Lamping. I know, I know, it's one of those abstruse albums you have to listen to a few times to appreciate--and, truth be told, I said the same thing about Hissing Fauna once upon a time, and now I love it--but I still can't get myself to listen to more than a couple of songs in one sitting.

But Kevin Barnes and company also released another song not on the CD, which slipped under my radar until last night. It's called "Feminine Effects", and it's...whoa. It kind of continues the pattern we first saw in "Derailments In a Place of Our Own," but substitute the acoustic guitar for a piano and give the lyrics a gay twist. "Feminine Effects" is, belatedly, my new favorite song, and I highly recommend you give it a listen.

-Josh

No comments: