Monday, November 17, 2008

It's Getting Colder

Winter's coming. It's been cooler in the city recently, but until today it had been a mild chill, a taste of things to come, winter's way of warming up. But it was absolutely freezing today, and it won't be long before I bust out my marshmallow jacket. It's big and beige and puffy and when you squeeze it, your fingers leave indentations that take a while to pop back to the surface. It is ridiculous and cozy.

Meanwhile, I just registered for Spring classes. It's really strange to think about Spring 2009 when we've just barely seen Winter 2008 rise its angry head. And, of course, I've been planning for Summer 2009, because I don't want to just go back to Jersey for three months but I don't think I can do another summer in New York. I'm thinking Berkeley or Boston. Any suggestions?

Well, the point is, I'm on a really weird internal clock right now. It keeps zooming forward and then hustling back and then slowing down to interminable minutes, seconds, tick, tock, waiting for that call back, registering for classes, academic articles far above my head stretched out like rubber over pages and pages, hours stoned on my bed, trying to write but paralyzed by the fear that these will prove to be the most exciting years of my life. Right now I'm in class and I swear the clock is broken.

Oh, and, last night I saw Synecdoche, New York. I walked out a little after halfway through. Hoffman was great, of course, but the movie just thought it was so clever when it was really just Eternal Sunshine for pessimists. If you liked it, that's great, more power to you, but you won't convince me it was anything more than Charlie Kaufman masturbating on a screen for two hours.

I can't wait to go home for Thanksgiving. I get a half day at work on Wednesday and then Friday off, so I'll actually get to spend some quality time with my family. My freshman self would never believe I'd say those words, but, you know, things change.

Of course, my allergies are getting bad again and I haven't come up with a title for my final workshop story this semester and I've started saying "L-O-L!" even though it's really obnoxious and I'm reminded how little some things change at all.

-Josh

No comments: