Friday, October 17, 2008

Josh's Favorite Videos



I was too young to appreciate the early 90s; any nostalgia I feel for that era is false. But that doesn't stop me for pining after that wonderful time, when grunge was revolutionary and America was in a good place, having just won the Persian Gulf War and entering the relative prosperity of the Clinton administration.

What I miss most about the early 90s (and by "miss" I mean "wish I could have experienced) was the sincere silliness. Artists could successfully get away with gimmicky songs (also see: Weird Al) and make brilliantly frivolous music videos to match.

The best example of this is Green Jellö's 1993 hit "Three Little Pigs" (it entered the Billboard Hot 100 top twenty!) and the (now) old-school claymation video single that accompanied it. Released on videotape before becoming an EP, it's, well...a heavy metal version of the story of the three little pigs, complete with a "Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin!" chorus. It's just a great little video to enjoy, from a band smart enough to poke fun at both the quaintness of the fable and the melodrama of the heavy metal genre. Watch it, laugh, and then rifle through your closet for those Tommy Hilfiger jeans I know you've kept hidden behind that stack of Pete & Pete DVDs.

-Josh

No comments: