Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Making Holden Caulfield Proud

Which do you think is more important: being honest or not pissing people off?

I go back and forth. If someone asked me if a dress looked good on them and I thought it looked horrendous, I would probably tell them that we should keep searching to find something that might look even better. If someone asked me if I thought they were ugly, I would vehemently say NO, even if they were f-u-g-z. In this regard, politeness neatly lends itself to white lies; we tell them so we don't hurt each other, but white lies are different than keeping something important secret. Whereas we tell white lies to make people feel good, we keep secrets to make ourselves feel good, which is inherently selfish, and ultimately not productive for anyone.


I had a strange experience this weekend, and I think I'm going to write about it. I think it would be hypocritical for me to talk about honesty and then keep this to myself. A lot of what I observed should be stated, explored, picked apart. If I want to keep this blog for myself and not pander to those more powerful, then I think it's important I say these things. It's going to piss some people off, which I hate doing, but I believe that ultimately putting everything out in the open could end up being the right move. I just have to remember that as long as I'm doing what I think is right, and speakin' mah truth, then things will turn out for the best.


/end inspirational rant


-Jess

11 comments:

LOLSAM said...

honesty is always the best policy.
that's why i lie all the time.

Anonymous said...

go for it.

Anonymous said...

Jess, I can tell this is what you truly want to do because it's what you believe in. I don't just want you to talk about it out of my own love of gossip...I just know how important honesty is to you. Do what feels right.

kash said...

damn straight.

ps: I don't care if I'm already out the door...if you tell me a fugly dress I'm wearing is cute I'm stealing all your AAs ;)

Marshall said...

I'll reserve my full thoughts until things shake shake shake out, but you know I think you're absolutely right. What you've got is tight and true and there's absolutely no point of attack, which is probably why it bothers them so.

Marshall said...

Oh and PS with his arm's folded like that Josh looks adorably stern.

Vanessa said...

what i said in the facebook msg, plus a healthy LOL at your "oh, and um" at the end of the post. team j&j fo lyf!

Anonymous said...

is he stern? or more attractive vampire?

Marshall said...

all vampires are attractive, but sure.

Montgomery Maxton said...

so now i know what you really thought of my dress

Eric said...

Definitely, honesty. If one does not want to hear the truth, then they should not asked for it. I also, just find people who choose to omit something (as in "sins of omission" --not necessarily outright lies) so that they won't piss/hurt the other person condescending and patronizing.