Sunday, July 20, 2008

LES Tenement Museum

I'm kind of a New York City history geek: scratch that, I'm a major NYC history geek. Sometimes I zone out in the middle of conversations because I'm examining architecture or thinking about what things were like in the 1890's. It's kind of weird. My apartment building used to be a CSI crime lab, and did you know there was a slave trade market on the corner of Lafayette and Houston where the BP gas station is?

Anyway, my Dad is coming into the city today and we are going to the Lower East Side Tenement Museum, which is a place I've been dying to go for ages now. Since I have just over a week left in New York, I'm starting to get this niggling desire to experience everything I've been putting off for the past two years. So we're going to see this tour:

For any fellow NYC history buffs (there have to be a few of you out there, right?), expect a full report later this evening on the Irish-American immigration experience. Woo! Exciting stuff!

-Jess

2 comments:

Marshall said...

I'm glad our studying payed off haha.

Marshall said...

Also, because I am a slave to media, I should say in conjunction with this that I think you would really enjoy MAD MEN, especially for the way it captures 1960s New York (or so my father says).