Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Great Catcalling Experiment: Day One

It's Day One of The Great Catcalling Experiment, in which I respond as if I'm turned on by the men who catcall me and gage their reaction. Today I got hit on by seven random guys on my way to work. Below are the results, in graph form:I believe we will have to collect more data in order to truly determine what these numbers mean. I will be conducting this experiment all week. This initial graph shows that the majority of men actually did want to pursue something with me beyond catcalling, which was... unexpected, especially considering it's strange that they would use such a relatively offensive method of catching my attention if they actually wanted to go on a date with me. Or maybe they were caught off guard since I'm sure they never get a positive response from the women they verbally harass. Upon approaching them, they appeared rather flustered but still semi-confident. I gave them each fake phone numbers. Sorry, boys.

-Jess

9 comments:

Vanessa said...

You are both amazing and hilarious. Keep up the experimenting, this should eventually turn into your Gallatin colloquium: "What Going To College In NYC Really Taught Me About Gender Relations...and Subculture, Kind Of." An alternate could be, "Why Strange Men and Vanessa Think I'm Awesome." I'll keep up the brainstorming...it's a slow day here.

Hannah said...

I love you Jess and I am so so proud of you!

Shawn said...

I love that you make graphs for things like this. It has made my day.

Casey said...

This is too good.

Give all the guys my number.

Ellen said...

This is brilliant. I think I'm slowly becoming addicted to your blog. Today I actually checked J&J before Jezebel, IvyGate and Gawker, and this is the first time I've changed my morning blog routine in like a year. In other words, keep up the excellent work, guys.

Anonymous said...

You should leave the rejection hotline.

Anonymous said...

Actually, the guys do not want to DATE you per se...they just want to hook up with you. There's a difference. When my male friends cat call a woman, its based on nothing but her looks and they want nothing more than to have sex with her. When they really want to date a woman, they don't act like that. Thank god I'm a lesbian! But, then again, women catcall each other also.

Woods said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Woods said...

I use to work in downtown LA and dealt with a heavy flow of catcalling for a year and a half. I think you should expand your experiment and do something I always thought would be fun and enlightening - Ask them questions.

How many numbers a month do you get from hitting on girls this way? How many of those numbers translate into any kind of relationship?

Roughly how many times a year do you get laid from girls you holler at on the street?

I've always been so curious...and if they don't get results, if they never get phone numbers or get laid, then why do the continue to do it? Are they insane or do they dream of living in the 80's when catcalling was the "in" thing among macho guys or are they just the sexism pigs we assume they are when we ignore their comments and gestures.