Saturday, July 19, 2008

Feminism and Celesbians


My roommate Ashley sent me this link, which she stumbled upon the other night. I've been combing my way through the readings, and they're all really great. For anyone interested in feminism and trying to gain a broader perspective of its basic premises, I highly recommend at least skimming these articles.

I've also been thinking a lot about the concept of celebrities and the media's role in "outing" them, a la Samantha Ronson and Lindsay Lohan. The media seems to have no trouble harping on other intensely personal issues, such as drug addiction or breakups or the death of a family member. So why is sexuality still considered so taboo? I understand why the media discusses all of these topics, but it doesn't necessarily make it right. I, for one, have basically stopped reading Perez and other celebrity gossip sites, because with all the recent privacy shit I've been going through, it has begun to give me a creepy feeling, like slowing down to witness the aftermath of a bad car crash. The LA Times wrote a fascinating article that touched on the issue of sexuality and the media, but it's something to consider further.

-Jess

Term "celesbians" coined by the illustrious LolSam.

1 comment:

LOLSAM said...

ha, idk if i "coined" that term.
i feel like i heard it somewhere else, but thanks for the shoutout!