Monday, July 7, 2008

Another Point of View

So there's this girl Vanessa who goes to NYU with me and she's a very avid Jess and Josh reader and once she even sent me a Facebook love letter declaring her self-proclaimed "mad girlcrush" on me (mutual!), and really, she's very cool. She's good people. That said, she wrote this fucking awesome post about what feminism means to her over at her blog, and if you're interested at all in any of the shit I've been talking over here recently concerning women's issues, I highly recommend it. It's lovely.

-Jess

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really, really love to see this. I went to Smith College, which is like Femiladyismland, and even there I once had this conversation (at the Vagina Monologues of all goddamn places).

Me: Do you consider yourself a feminist?
Girl: Not really.
Me: Do you think men and women should be on equal footing?
Girl: Yeah, of course.
Me: So, the classic definition of a feminist?
Girl: No, no, I don't, like, hate men or not shave my legs.

Granted, one of the reasons I went to Smith was because I was a feminism early adopter and so it was easy to get frustrated--I expected an entire school of "the one girl in seventh grade who calls herself a feminist." This is all a very roundabout way of saying that I really respect and admire you for putting yourself and ideas in a public forum (and your friend, too) and being open to learning more. I hope you keep doing it, because the world needs as many open-minded, smart, articulate people as it can get.

Jess and Josh said...

Aw, thank you! I appreciate that. I have a fairly similar story. I added "feminism" to my Facebook interests awhile back and people actually wrote on my wall like, "Does that mean you're going to stop shaving your legs?" And by people I mean OTHER GIRLS. :(

Jes-One S said...

anyone who loves belle and sebastian is ok in my book :)