Wednesday, June 4, 2008

You Snus, You Lose?


While I was buying a pack of cigarettes at my local deli earlier today, the cashier, seeing my dissatisfaction at the price hike, offered me a tin of Camel Snus. I hadn't heard of them before, but since it was a one-time free offer I figured I might as well try them.

Here is what the instructions are:

"1. POP it under your upper lip
2. Wait a few minutes for a TINGLE
3. ENJOY for up to 30 minutes

(No spitting required)"

This struck me as a little suspicious, because:

1. This sounds an awful lot like gumming cocaine
2. I really don't understand how a tobacco product causes a "tingle"
3. If I don't like it, I will certainly not enjoy the 30 minutes that follow

Google didn't dig up a whole lot of information on what it's like to actually try the product, however, so in the name of both journalism in the public service and because I am looking to cut back on cigarettes, I will not only try a Snus but will live-blog the experience. I'd do it right now, but I just ate and the post-dinner cigarette is probably my favorite, so I'm not going to sacrifice it. But in a couple of hours I'll forgo the stick and try the Snus (Snu?). So check back later tonight to see if I like the pouches or if I get a serious case of Snus Blues.

(Ba dum...tsch.)

-Josh

No comments: