Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Boys Will Be Boys, and So Their Balls May Suffer the Consequences

Jezebel just posted an article analyzing CNN's lovely story entitled, "Catcalls - Creepy or Complimentary?" Hey, CNN - allow me to answer that question for you, since as a PYT living in New York, I am constantly the victim of bordering-on-sexual-harassment-catcalls.


Guess what? They stop being complimentary when they start being creepy - and they are ALWAYS creepy. The kind of guy I want to date - a confident but reserved pseudo-asshole - wouldn't have the balls, let alone the desire - to vocalize which body part of mine he likes best while I'm walking down the street. Not only is it creepy, but it's objectifying and downright annoying. I have never once stopped in my tracks, looked at my perp in the eye, sincerely thanked him and then handed him my number.

So why do men continue to catcall? Is it in their genes? Is it a cultural thing, since many of the men who vocalize appreciation for my "beauty" tend to be Hispanic and African American? (Though, yeah, some are white - and many of them are asshole Wall Street guys). I don't think the fact that I am a posterchild for the minidress should subject me to merciless catcalling when I'm simply trying to get from apartment to job. It's a feminist issue, but it's also a human issue. Why have so many women simply accepted this kind of harassment as part of the female job description? I never fear that men who catcall me are going to then drag me into a back alley and rape me, but there's definitely something unnevering about having countless pairs of eyes survey your body like you're nothing but a sum of your luscious lady parts. It doesn't matter what I'm wearing, either. I've been hit on on my way home from the gym, red-faced, pony-tailed, wearing sweats and coated in a sheet of sweat (er, excuse me - glistening). Perhaps part of this can be chalked up to the age old sentiment "boys will be boys;" but then - perhaps a retaliatory sentiment would be simply turning around and lodging a roundhouse kick to the balls... though I'm not sure I have the energy to kick 20 people in a day. Fuck. No wonder I'm currently boyfriendless.

-Jess

1 comment:

Bianca Reagan said...

Is it a cultural thing, since many of the men who vocalize appreciation for my "beauty" tend to be Hispanic and African American? (Though, yeah, some are white - and many of them are asshole Wall Street guys).

What about the Asians? Are their catcalls not worthy of mention? :)

I wrote about this, too!