Monday, May 26, 2008

Alex is Still a Douche Bag, Amanda is Still a Hero

On tonight's two part season finale of The Paper, Amanda's ex-best friend and Managing Editor Alex continued to prove that he is an immature asshole who deserves the pathetic, meaningless life he will surely set up with girl Alex after they graduate, attend the same state school and accidentally get pregnant.Amanda, however, achieved her dream of getting into (my school) NYU. Check out her admissions packet. I'm having total flashbacks.

The day I got accepted I had driven home from school to intercept the mailman during my lunch. I actually accosted him a few blocks down and had to show him my driver's license to prove I lived at the house I said I lived in. When he handed me the envelope, fat and promising, I ripped it open and immediately began crying and jumping up and down in the middle of the street. That excitement has almost all but waned, but shreds of it still linger. They crept up the back of my neck during The Paper season finale. It perfectly captured the anxiety, the hard work and the endless waiting that goes into the college admission process.

One of the things that really bothered me was the fact that the vice principal tried to pull an article from the front page because it may have negatively referenced Cypress Bay in some way. I wasn't involved in the newspaper in high school, but it seemed a bit ridiculous. I'm hoping it was simply to complicate the plot and allow Amanda to showcase the true leadership ability she possesses, and not that the students at Cypress Bay are suffering under a cruel and unfair dictator. I liked how Amanda gave her a little bad-itude. You go girl.

The final fight between Amanda and Alex in that beautiful Florida park saddened me because it echoed of many the fights I had in high school, only even the assholes I knew at Springfield High weren't as intolerable as Asshat Alex. He truly is awful. Throughout the entire series he managed to spew venomous bullshit about Amanda behind her back while continuously jumping at the chance to undermine her in every capacity possible. I can put up with this kind of shit from Trevor because he's the kind of guy I would've "hated" in high school but actually fantasized about fucking in the football locker room. Alex is an asshole with no good looks to back it up. Good riddance, Amanda. There are plenty of boys at NYU who are far cuter and far sweeter than Mr. Alex.

Okay, I have to go to bed now. I got drunk at 3pm today and I'm exhausted, but I wanted to write about the final ep while it was fresh in my mind. Hope you all had an eventful Memorial Day.

-Jess

No comments: