Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Spell Checker Can't Do All Your Work For You


I was reading a short article on Barack Obama's opinion of Al Gore when I came across the paragraph, which has managed to make me doubt the journalistic integrity of the Associated Press:

"Gore, who's work on climate change earned him a Nobel Prize, he is popular among Democrats."

Are you kidding me? Shame on you, Devlin Barrett. "Who's" does not equal "whose," and that "he" is unnecessary and suggests that you already edited this last paragraph so much that even you lost track.

Mistakes like these not only call into question the veracity of the entire article, but also take the reader out of the story. What I'll remember from this piece isn't what Obama said but how much Barrett messed up.

Also, don't they have editors for this crap?

-Josh

1 comment:

Jess and Josh said...

I literally choked on my coffee reading this.

Someone send Barrett back to English 101!