Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Moms just want to be loved


Postcards from Yo Momma is a site created by ex-Gawker editor and current NY Observer writer Doree Shafrir. It compiles e-mails and IM transcripts from moms sent in by readers. It's entertaining, sure, but it also made me realize that ALL MOMS ARE THE SAME.

Whether they're slutty moms or anal-retentive moms or chronic oversharer moms who lament the awful details of their life story to the grocery store cashier (my mom!), all moms are essentially passive-aggressive and want you to call them every day. If you don't, they will send you e-mails like this one:

April 9, 2008

i lied

ok. i lied yesterday. i am jealouse of dianne because her daughter calls her all the time. sorry, mom

Indeed, my mom likes to pretend she doesn't give a shit if I call or not, but then every single time we talk she says, with an air of dejected somberness: "So, we haven't spoken in awhile. I hope things are going well..."

So maybe today shoot your mom an e-mail and tell her you love her. And then post her response email to Postcards From Yo Momma.

-Jess

1 comment:

Michele said...

Where's my email saying you love me? :-)

And BTW--I don't over-share with grocery store clerks unless you or Ali are there to be embarrassed by it.

Love, Mom