Sunday, April 6, 2008

Facebook: The only way you can avoid people now is by death

It used to be that if you didn't feel like talking to people you could go on Facebook and not iChat. You could still get your fill of stalkerdom, but you wouldn't have to put up with actually making conversation.

Well folks, as of this morning, that has changed.

Facebook has instituted a live chat program (NOT an application, it's now part of every Facebook account) that allows you to send IMs to people who are currently on Facebook.

It's actually quite sleekly designed, and I don't really mind it; but the trouble comes when you just want some peace and quiet and stalking time, but people keep IMing you on it.

The other thing is: Facebook continues to render other computer programs and sites completely irrelevant. (i.e. Myspace, e-mail accounts, and now-- iChat).

I don't know how I feel about this program. On the one hand, it's a really cute design and I don't so much mind being able to IM people I need to talk to who don't use iChat. But that's a two-way street. Do I really want people who were too nervous to IM me before (because then it would show they know my screen name) now taking it upon themselves to live chat with me? And putting aside misplaced arrogance for a second, do I really want to be made available for live chat the entire time I'm on Facebook? I don't have a Twitter account for a reason, and I am very much a fan of putting an away message up even when I'm online. What is this going to do to my social life? What is this going to do... to the world?

-Jess

No comments: