Monday, March 31, 2008

Today in New York Times Circlejerks

The NYTimes Books section is probably the most self-referential obnoxious piece of pretentious garbage to ever make its way into a newspaper. Think I'm exaggerating? Read this article.

Or, if the headline causes vomit to form in the back of your throat, just skim this clip:

Pity the would-be Romeo who earnestly confesses middlebrow tastes: sometimes, it’s the Howard Roark problem as much as the Pushkin one. “I did have to break up with one guy because he was very keen on Ayn Rand,” said Laura Miller, a book critic for Salon.

While similar tastes are important to a relationship, including literary tastes, you're a dumb fuck if you're so picky as to refuse to date a guy because he likes Atlas Shrugged. Have you SEEN the New York dating pool recently? Because I have, and as long as a guy can read ANYTHING, as in, he's not illiterate and speaks some form of English, he's okay in my book. (Pun!!1)

As Jezebel points out, the greatest part about this article is that it's on the list for Top Most Emailed Articles. What kind of pathetic, pretentious assholes are e-mailing this article, nodding their heads in unison and going, "I'm so glad I dumped that Jonathan Safran Foer enthusiast?" Oh, right: the kind of people who read The New York Times Books section.

-Jess

1 comment:

Marshall said...

That's my favorite book. The Stranger I mean. Ayn Rand didn't get asked to dance enough.