Sunday, March 30, 2008

Down with the Carrie Bradshaw Paradigm


This is the dumbest article I've ever read in my life (that's not in WSN).

I know that the Sex and the City Movie is coming out this summer, and everyone from young, chic New Yorkers to frumpy middle-aged midwesterners are biting their lips with excitement.

But can we please stop comparing every successful, beautiful woman to Carrie Bradshaw?

It's frightening, really, that the paradigm of success for a woman is based off of an HBO romantic comedy.

Don't get me wrong, SATC is one of my favorite shows. I just don't follow it like a Bible. I aspire to have Carrie's job and wealth and okay yeah Mr. Big. But I don't aspire to be Carrie.

And frankly, I think it's sad that Julia Allison does. She should aspire to be so much more than her Carrie counterpart, who stands as a vague, 2D shadow of a real person.

It should be said that a lot of media outlets have a problem with Allison. I don't hate her, but there is something remarkably unlikeable about her, though she does have that breed of self-confidence most girls would kill for. What happened to her with Jakob Lodwick was kind of unfortunate, but she did bring it on herself.

That said, I don't think it's fair to compare her success to a fictional character. That's sweeping it under the rug and attributing all her hard work to a series of circumstances akin to what befell Carrie herself (running into that Vogue editor, having her book optioned, etc). And I don't really get why she would do it to herself, either. Get with it, girl! We are so much better than vagina monsters and frizzy hair.

-Jess

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of your favorite shows is a show you don't watch?

Jess and Josh said...

funny, funny! ambiguity fixed.