Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Corporations Are, Like, Totes Taking over

My friend Jacob showed me this. It's some stupid religious pro-abstinence thing. That's not the point.

At one moment in the story, the teacher announces that there are doughnuts available in the back of the classroom. Only the story doesn't say "doughnut," it says "donut." As in, Dunkin' Donuts. As in, totally wrong. So I thought.

I checked my trusty Mac Dictionary only to discover that BOTH spellings are technically allowed. Dunkin' Donuts has become such a prevalent (and delicious) part of our culture that it has actually changed the spelling of an English word. Thanks, Dunkin' Donuts, for inserting yourself into the American lexicon.

Then, to my horror, as I was typing up this entry, I noticed a red squiggle beneath the word "doughnut." Oh no, I thought. Surely Blogger doesn't mean...

But it did. Blogger only recognizes the corporate spelling: d-o-n-u-t. I'm not joking--try it yourself.

What does this say about our culture? That a brand can gain so much influence, and that people can be so lazy, that a pretty simple English word has to be shortened astounds me. Now when I'm on AIM I use my share of "ttyl"s and "tonite"s, but that's in a chat, and it's not like people in real life say "Insert smiley face" when they have to cancel plans anyway. There's a distinction between what happens on AIM and what happens in the rest of the world. But when a reputable dictionary recognizes "donut" as a correct variant of "doughnut," well, that says something about our society.

It also says that I really, really want doughnuts now. Donuts. W/e.

-Josh

1 comment:

Marshall said...

I noticed this in my Assosciated Press Stylebook about a month ago. Which means it's now a media rule too. Horrifying. I have no doubt I will be fired from my first writing job for arguing with my editor about this.