Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bizarre happenings and birthdays

Let me start by saying that I did NOT want to wake up this morning. I only got 6 hours of sleep, and for those of you who know me, I need 8+ to even pretend to function. But I did get up; I dragged my lazy bones to the kitchen and made coffee, spent 20 minutes agonizing over what to wear (as I do every morning), showered and made my way to the bus. After getting my 2nd cup of coffee at my favorite cart on Mercer and West 4th, I noticed that there was a police line roping off the entire block of West 4th Street where my office building is located. Firemen, policemen, NYU security guards looking abashedly at the ground like they wished they were firemen and policemen. The result? Electrical fire at my building, office closed until further notice, no work.

Ok, fine. I don't have classes on Tuesday so I get the whole day to do nothing. Except for the fact that I lose 6 hours of work, which rounds out to about $50. Not to mention I had already gotten to campus. I think I should find some way to make them pay me for my lost time. It's not like NYU can't afford it.

Anyway, I decided to see The Counterfeiters at the Angelika on Houston because I didn't have anything else to do. I was the only person under 50 years old, but the movie was great; it won best foreign language film at the Oscars, and I say well-deserved. I had a strange obsession with the Holocaust when I was younger, so movies that take place in concentration camps always hit me right at the center. I highly recommend it.

Hopefully tomorrow the building will be fixed so I can go back to making $9/hour for flirting with old alums.

I would also like to wish my friend Hannah a hearty Happy 21st -- we've known each other since we were 10 years old, and we just keep getting better with time. Love you nonnerz.

Hannah and I at 15
Hannah and I last year


-Jess

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess!

I take full responsibility for your never to be recovered two hours of sleep!

It was totally my thought. I assumed the 25 west 4th closure notification went to everyone!

PS. I am sure your outfit was fierce.

xo melissa

Anonymous said...

You're the best Jess. I love you!


Hannah