Sunday, January 20, 2008

Songs to kill yourself by

I'm in a funk. A funk that involves chainsmoking and Klonopin and looking up flights to London that I seriously can't afford. ($600, what the FUCK?)

Here's my playlist recently, in case you're in the same boat. I mean, what are Sundays for if not wallowing and feeling depressed and watching The Notebook? Yeah, I don't know either.

In no particular order:

"Dinnu Lipatti's Bones" by The Mountain Goats
"Bankrupt on Selling" by Modest Mouse
"Videotape" by Radiohead
"To be Alone With You" by Sufjan Stevens
"Slow Show" by The National
"Sweet Thing" by Van Morrison
"New York, I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down" by LCD Soundsystem
"Get Big" by Okkervil River
"Crown of Love" by The Arcade Fire
"Transatlantacism" by Death Cab for Cutie
"Between the Bars" by Elliott Smith
"The First Song" by Band of Horses
"Lua" by Bright Eyes
"On the Bus Mall" by The Decemberists
"Never is a Promise" by Fiona Apple
"Heartbeats" by Jose Gonzalez
"Atmosphere" by Joy Division
"Inside of Love" by Nada Surf
"True Love Waits" by Radiohead
"Desolation Row" by Bob Dylan

Please feel free to comment with your own tear-inducing songs. And remember the wise words of Disciple Eric G. Wilson:

Melancholia generates a deep feeling in regard to this same anxiety, a turbulence of heart that results in an active questioning of the status quo, a perpetual longing to create new ways of being and seeing.

-Jess

6 comments:

Michael said...

Perhaps you might enjoy Timeless or New Day by Kate Havnevik. Royksopp has some pretty great stuff too especially Beautiful Day Without You. Embrace the funk.

You and Josh are hilarious by the way.

Michele said...

Shouldn't you be writing poetry instead?

Jess and Josh said...

you know i can't write anymore.

Jess and Josh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael said...

Aiyana, my fellow blogger, found your blog while using stumbleupon.com. She basically died laughing while reading your posts so she decided to share it with me.

This may sound random but I ask everyone I know. I've got netflix and my queue is always running low. Have any suggestions for good movies?

Mazi said...

hey michael, friend of jess here, check out "donnie darko", "true romance", "brick", "the science of sleep" (or any michel gondry for that matter)