Wednesday, December 12, 2007

PETA scares the tofu out of me

Yesterday PETA released their new website targeted at my personal favorite celebrity duo and fashion inspiration, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen (redubbed Hairy-Kate and Trashley Trollsen), for their love of fur. Now, I'm a strict vegetarian: I don't eat any meat, including fish, and I won't go near anything that has touched or been cooked with meat. I even feel kind of weird kissing my boyfriend after he eats chicken. But I can safely say PETA has gone too far.

I think we all know the people behind PETA are a little crazy. They throw paint on people. And apparently their website is run by catty, 15 year old girls who would rather mock the Olsens for being "ugly" and "anorexic" than spend their time actually trying to help animals. In my opinion, it's sad that they would direct so much funding towards this kind of slander, when they could put that money towards saving elephants in Africa or something of the like. I would never wear fur, and I don't really understand the Olsen's obsession with it, but as a self-proclaimed fashionista I respect their right to don whatever outfits they feel express their own personal style. It's part of being in the limelight, and if they feel that fur successfully completes a perfectly concocted outfit, then so be it. Who am I to argue? They're multimillionaires with fabulous closets. The mean girls at PETA need a reality check: this world is about choice, and if the Olsens choose to wear fur, they shouldn't be attacked via some shitty website for doing so.

Also, I'm pretty sure they're not wearing coats made out of dogs, as the website intimates. But that's just a guess.

-Jess

No comments: