Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A Goddamn Rant: Makin' Emma Goldman Proud

I woke up late today because I took too many Xanax last night. Josh lulled me to sleep with the sweet sounds of his nasally voice and the lovely smell of Sparks. When I finally went out to seize the day (by waiting for the bus, which was only 10 minutes late today!) I was greeted by a leering old man driving by in what can only be described as a kidnapping/refugee toting unlabeled white van. As I lit a cigarette, I saw him out of the corner of my eye, and he literally looked at me and STUCK HIS TONGUE OUT in a sexual/provocative way which caused me to audibly gasp, much to the dismay of the other people waiting for the bus. It was lewd and crude and all of those other adjectives my Grandmother typically uses to describe my behavior. I almost threw up my Honey Bunches of Oats.

Now, I wasn't even wearing a provocative outfit. I was wearing black leggings and boots and a knee length skirt and a blouse. I thought only slutty girls got hit on? This isn't the first time this has happened, either. This happens to me daily. Same sentiment, different nasty sexual motion.

At work I put the disgusting thought of his snarling face out of my mind so that I could focus on getting really really pissed at the copy machine, Office Space style. But then, on the way home, another man in a very similar van YELLED at me that I was "sexy." There were other people looking! They started laughing! I was just making my way home, trying to get my Dad on the phone to bitch about how I had been closed out of all the classes I wanted, and this guy starts saying things I wouldn't even want my (hypothetical) boyfriend saying! I was mortified.

So what gives these men the right to verbally and facially harass women? I don't get it? Do I have to go outside wearing a chador in order to not be treated as a sex object? Because I will, god dammit! Except.... that shit gets really hot in the summer. Ugh.

-Jess

No comments: