Monday, November 26, 2007

Lesson Learned

Between the stuffing and awkward reunions with home friends, I learned an invaluable lesson over Thanksgiving break: the Nintendo Wii is awesome.
No, really, it's amazing.
I had heard about the wonders of the Wii before, but being the pretentious dick skeptical consumer that I am, I brushed them aside as merely one of the ways Asians and frat boys passed the time. I had long ago abandoned video games; once Nintendo 64 came and went, things became too complex for me and I decided it would just better to leave them behind altogether.
Oh, how I was wrong.
The thing about the Wii is that it's not just a videogame console; it's a virtual reality, one in which you can create your own character in the Wii universe and actually perform the actions unfolding on screen. Tennis games were never my favorite--there's only so much fun you can have with a controller, ball, and net--but when you're actually swinging the racket (or at least pretending to) and serving backhands and forehands and hoping not to break the furniture and watching your friend practically lunge to retrieve your serve....dude, it's a rush.
So, I want one. There, I said it, and I'll say it again: I want a Wii. I would also need a somewhat big-screen TV, because I really can't imagine staring at a ten-inch black-and-white number and getting into the game. But I will find a way to get that TV into my room....and then I shall procure a Wii.
Anyone for tennis?

1 comment:

Justin said...

Actually it's called the Wiiniverse.